skip mobile navigation
skip top site navigation
skip interior navigation
In This Section

Marriage Licensing

Application Deadline

Apply at least 6 days before the date of ceremony, but no more than 30 days from issue date.  Allow sufficient time, as the Oneida Licensing Office is not open weekends or certain holidays.

What to Bring

  • Valid picture ID, Tribal ID (if applicable), and an Acceptable Proof of Residency dated no greater than 30 days
  • One of the applicants must be an enrolled federally recognized tribal member and show their enrollment documentation.  See Marriage License FAQs for examples of Tribal Enrollments Identification
  • Certified State or County birth certificates (hospital certificates or birth registration forms are not acceptable)
  • Social Security Card
  • Ceremony details
    • Date
    • Location
    • Officiate name, title, phone, address, and email
  • If previously married, signed copies of the Judgment of Divorce, court annulment or certified copy of spouse death certificate
  • Parents’ first, middle, and last name (mother’s maiden name); provide correct spelling if not provided on birth certificate
  • Years of completed education
  • Email address

Fees / Payments

  • Application Filing Fee:  $100
  • A $25 waiver fee is charged, if the marriage license needs to have an issue date earlier then the 5 day waiting period.  Then the total amount collected is $125. (All fees are non-refundable)
  • Correction Fee: $10
  • Acceptable Forms Check
    • Credit/debit card
    • Oneida retail gift card
    • Money Order made out to Oneida Licensing

After the Marriage

The completed Tribal Marriage Certificate Worksheet must be returned to the Tribal Clerk at Oneida Licensing within (3) three business days after the date of marriage.

Oneida Licensing will file your Marriage Certificate with the Vital Statistics office in Madison, WI. Please allow 5 to 7 business days for processing, as Vital Statistics does not send out a notification once the certificate is complete.

After the 5 to 7 day waiting period, couples should Apply for Certified Copy – Marriage License.  A Certified Marriage License is what is used to change your name, update your insurance etc.


What is considered Tribal Enrollment Identification?

Please note: One of the applicants must meet the requirements of (A) or (B)

  • (A) One of the applicants is an Oneida Tribal member he Oneida reservation. (non-tribal applicants must consent to the Tribe’s jurisdiction) 


  • (B) One of the applicants is a member of a Federally recognized Indian Tribe, who resides on the Oneida Reservation If one or both of the applicants permanently resides on the Oneida Reservation the marriage shall be held within the State of Wisconsin.
    If one or both of the applicants permanently resides on the Oneida Reservation the marriage shall be held within the Sate of Wisconsin.

Who can officiate a marriage ceremony?

The list of persons authorized to officiate a marriage ceremony is contained within OCL 71.5-4.  

Included in this list are traditional tribal practitioners or spiritual leaders recognized by the community and registered with the court; judges; the Tribal Chairperson or a person designated by the Tribal Chairperson; any ordained clergy person; any person licensed by a religious body; or the parties themselves in accordance with the  customs, rules, and regulations of any religious denomination, society, or sect to which either belongs.

Oneida Judiciary

2630 W. Mason St  
PO Box 19 
Oneida WI 54155 

Phone: (920) 496-7200 
Fax: (920) 496-7229 

WARNING — Mail order/internet ordained persons may not be qualified officiant to preform marriages. Neither our office, nor the State Vital Records Office, will confirm the legality of a religious officiant. Wis. State Statues 765.16 provides additional  information. If you question the legality of your chosen officiant you may want to seek legal counsel. 

Please note: The Oneida Judiciary staff is unable to give legal advice. Legal advice may be obtained by consulting with an attorney or advocate.

Things You Need to Know

Both must show proof of residence (drivers license, utility invoices etc.)

Certified birth certificates are required — this is a state or count certified birth certificate which has the official seal and signature of the Register of Deeds.  (Hospital or baptismal certificates cannot be accepted)

Application must be made at least six (6) full days before the ceremony date, but no more than 30 days.

The couple must apply in person together.

Divorced applicants must be divorced for a minimum of 6 months to qualify.

Persons of age to marry without parental consent at age 18. Signed parental consent of both parents or guardians is required at the time of or prior to application for 16 and 17 years of age.  Forms are available at the time of application.

If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen your must provide. Any document not in English must have attached to it a certified or notarized translation. The couple must speak and be able to read English. If not, the applicants must provide a translator. The couple may not translate for each other. Also note that certain ID, such as Metricular Cards or U.S. Consular issued passports are not acceptable per the State Vital Records Office. Valid passports from the country of origin are acceptable for ID. If you have questions regarding the required documents please feel free to call our office in advance.

Additional/Contact Info